I've been dealing with the lack of content in FYComp for quite a while
now, and I agree that it is a central problem.  Any content you mandate
is clearly mandated by the instructor, and arbitrary to a certain extent
(ok, maybe to a lot of extent).  Students know this, and they are frankly
resistant.  But FYComp seems centrally inportant to me for the following
reasons:

*  For many undergraduates, it's the only course where they're dealing
with a small number of people, who they actually get to know.  As such,
it serves a MAJOR acclimatizing role within the university.

*  FYComp provides an avenue where people can learn about discourse
communities in general, and the discourse communities of the university
in particular.  It provides a venue for us to make explicit some of the
teacit assumptions of other disciplines, other professors.  It's a way to
say, "Hey!  This isn't high school!" in very tangible ways.

I'm not sure FYComp is the best place to accomplish those objectives --
but I think they're important ones.  If those of us south of the border
abolished FYComp, we'd need to come up with some way to answer those
objectives in another way.

Marcy

                        Marcy Bauman
         Writing Program, University of Michigan-Dearborn
              4901 Evergreen Rd, Dearborn, MI 48128
                      fax: 313-593-5552
                 http://www.umd.umich.edu/~marcyb