 I suspect what Northrop Frye said about his Canadian/USAmerican students
being
90% the same, but that the 10% that differed was highly significant probably
applies to Canadian/USAmerican approaches to composition as well.  But I
believe there has been some study of that 10%.  My impression is that the
belletristic  "Literature and Composition" course was more prominent longer in
Canada (and, in fact, was alive and well at UBC when I was there in the
late-70s).  Perhaps because industrializiation was more prominent earlier in
the USA.  The writings of Henry Hubert, Nan Johnson, and Roger Graves seem to
me highly relevant to this question.   Among them:
Johnson, Nan.  "Rhetoric and Belles Lettres in the Canadian Academy: An
Historical Analysis."  College English 50.8 (December 1988): 861-73.
Graves, Roger.   Writing Instruction in Canadian Universities.  Winnipeg:
Inkshed, 1994.
Hubert, Henry A.  Harmonious Perfection: The Development of English Studies in
Nineteenth Century Canadian Colleges.  East Lansing, MI: Michigan State UP,
1994.