Interestingly, at least for those of us intrigued by the rhetoric of
naming, Distance Education seems to be in the process of being renamed
"Distributed Learning"--because it is increasingly just an alternative
delivery method. There was, for instance, a policy forum on "Distributed
Learning Environments held in BC in 1995 and Robert Martin (UVic) is doing
a dissertation on it.  At SFU, the most common "distance education" address
is one of our dorms!  (Why, if one is going to call certain sorts of
education "distributed learning," it doesn't include what we do in our
classrooms is also, I think, a question worth asking.)

The virtues of distance education for those people living in places where
they can't easily access learning by more tradition means seem clear to me.
 The use of this delivery method (itself an interesting naming) as an
alternative ot having a group of learners meet in a room at particular
times--well, I haven't run into a lot of studies about the effectiveness or
virtues of that (except, of course, regarding its convenience and
cost-effectiveness).