I'm under contract to do a course like this, a contract I accepted because
the alternative was having someone else do it.  But I haven't started it
yet because I'm disputing the notion that someone like me should be finding
the software:  I think I should say what the software needs to do, and some
person skilled at finding and testing software should be paid by Distance
Education to find what I need.  Judy Segal recently did such a course for
UBC, but I don't believe she was very happy with what she was able to
create.  In my mind, the software should enable the sorts of activities
that normally go on among small groups in the workshop-like classes I
teach, e.g., multiple responses to drafts where the process is visible to
each person in the small group and where I am able to intervene
occasionally if I think the process is getting off track.  Another big
problem seems to be  getting the DE people to recognize that writing
courses are a lot of work and that tutor markers need to be paid
significantly more per student for writing courses.  In short, there is a
lot of politics between where I am now at SFU and where I think I need to
be in order to do this task with integrity.