Cathy,

I have worked successful with "First Class"  at SFU  centre for Distance
Education,  and I know that it is the software that york university  uses
with  the WEIR - Writers in electronic Residence for the past  two years -
I also know that Composer in electronic  Residence use  it for  sharing
midi- compostions with  students.  Trevor owens  at York university
Faculty of Education   has piloted  this program for years..

First Class works on both MAC  and IBM  -  and has both delayed cut and
paste - and  real time on-line  chat response type capabilities.  For
example  in one of the classes I did with a group of teachers - the
assignment was to write a screen play -- one of  our groups managed to  get
on-line   and write the screen play  copoperatively over a four hour period
--    with different membfers asssigned to go off line  edit,  come back
with feed back,,  take bathroom breaks  put kids to  bed, and  get   coffee
--  we ended up with a   'record tof the  event"   because Frist Class
records   and keeps all its histories -  for all uses - not  jsut the
"manager"

I could direct you to the Centre for  continuing Education  if you want
more inormation  - for me  right now - it is more of  a "black  box"
program - I can   use it -  and set up conferences -- but I  don't know the
nuts nad virtual bolts of it.

cheers

KathrynAlexander,
Doctoral Candidate