Cathy -- Thanks for asking such a good question, and for nudging us
into useful answers. I've wondered too if Canadians have a distinctive
take on the reading/writing question because so much writing teaching
happens within lit courses or other disciplinary courses. For
instance, over the past few years I have noted an increasing use at
U of T of "critique" assignments. Profs find them useful because they
make students read specified texts carefully. They go beyond summaries
in asking for analytic reading and awareness of argumentation, even for
some rhetorical awareness of intended effect on reader. They invite
students to resist texts' intentions and even to evaluate their
success. They allow for statements of opinion that are based on more
than gut feeling or emotional response (while not totally excluding
them).

Lots of problems here, of course, since faculty don't always spell out
those "invitations," etc. Students often just summarize, or they panic
at the need to make a judgement when they don't know anything more
about the subject than what the text itself says. The invitation to
resist and criticize isn't always meant fully, either, and students
sometimes know they have to limit or shape their evaluations to match
the prof's biases.

But at best they do give students a way into the conversation of the
discipline, and offer chances to read intensively with attention to
argument and rhetoric. If they can demonstrate the need for resistance
even to "good" writing, they are a worthy introduction to academic
discourse. And--a handy pedagogical advantage--they're much more
resistant to essay-buying than another round of standard overused
essay topics. My sense is that faculty here in many different
departments spontaneously generated similar topics because of the need
they sensed to define academic literacy as distinct from other kinds
of reading and writing--including the lack of analysis fostered
by version of "reader response" that has dominated Ontario secondary
English curriculum as the main/only way of writing about texts.

In US handbooks and textbooks, I see a lot of attention to book
reports (also used widely in schools to make students show they have
read "enough"), but little focus on the idea of review or critique.
Even the latter term is uncommon. (Too French?) No surprise that Janet
Giltrow has written by far the best books on the topic of reading
academic texts critically.

Do the rest of you see this type of reading/writing assignment
happening across the disciplines?  Do you agree with my sense that
it is somehow a Canadian peculiarity? Is it worth encouraging?

Regards,

Margaret.
--

(Dr.) Margaret Procter                  Room 216, 15 King's College Circle
Coordinator, Writing Support            Toronto, Ontario M5S 3H7