Cathy,
Here is a brief description of the Engineering Communication course I've been
teaching
since Fall'97. I used models of Legitimate Peripheral Participation (Lave and
Wenger) and
Guided Participation (Rogoff) and North American genre theory (of course!) to
design the course.

It's a compulsory course for all first- and second year engineering students. We
have three-hour
workshops once a week for each group. Initially, we had a one-hour lecture and
two-hour workshops,
but the new course layout works much better: it allows us to combine lectures
with discussion and writing.

The students are asked to choose one of the Engineering
courses they are taking concurrently with the Communication course and to follow
it in all
Communication assignments. They are asked to post journals to the electronic
course newsgroup discussing
their chosen engineering courses (discussing assignments, asking questions,
solving problems, etc.)
and responding to other students' postings. It's a kind of electronic log book
and at the same time it's
dialogic.

Other assignments in this course include a formal letter to instructor written
instructor's letter of request (in this letter students inform the instructor of
the details of the
engineering course they choose as the focus of their work in the Communication
course);
a proposal for the topic for the major
Communication course project written in response to instructor's RFP; an
abstract of an article directly
related to the topic of their major project; a progress report (includes both a
written report and
an oral presentation), and the major written report (both oral and written).

In fact, there is only
one large assignment in the Communication course: the major project on the topic

related to the chosen engineering course. All smaller assignments reflect
different stages
in the process of completing the project. The instructor discusses topics for
the project
individually with each student and provides extensive feedback on all their
submissions.
Students are asked to exchange drafts, make comments on them, and revise their
drafts using peer
comments. They can use the course newsgroup to receive feedback from their
classmates.

I strongly believe that the pedagogy of this course can be translated to other
Writing/Communication
courses, not necessarily technical. I'd like to think of the design of this
course as one
example of "good "Canadian" practices".
Natasha

--