Cathy et al.

I notice in particular the privileging in (some) American comp/rhet of an
expressivist view of writing--that is, writing as a form of self-discovery and
self-expression.  I haven't noticed this approach nearly as much in scholarship
and teaching by Canadians.  I think we tend instead to stress writing as
engagement with a subject matter, rather than engagement with "the self"--at
least, in a university context.  Which may be why we haven't  introduced many
writing courses which don't have a clear academic subject (whether that be
literature or engineering).   Our emphasis on the reading/writing link and on
critique, as you and Margaret have noted, seems to me to be connected to our
non-expressivist tradition, if you will (how's that for an identity based on
negation?).

Philippa