Doug's absolutely right about this:

> I would say that this is definitely not a Canadian thing.  We are
> planning to try something like this here at the U of C and did a web
> search on the keywords "First Year Seminar."  Try it and you'll see how
> many of these there are, mostly in the US.

There are also a lot -- perhaps even more -- under "first year
experience" or "freshman year experience."  And there's an amazingly
wide range of things that fit under each rubric (actually, it shouldn't
be amazing, when I consider the range of things that fit under
"introductory composition").

In spite of this, there might be a Canadian take on this, as I suspect
there is on writing instruction.  What sort of thing are you thinking
about out there, Doug?

                                        -- Russ