Hi, Peter and Hilary!

Your information is generally correct and you've hit on an area of major
interest in basic research.  Here are a couple of additional intriguing
ideas.  First, there are cells in the brain called stem cells, which are
sort of  'left over' early on in life, when neural cells differentiate
(decide just what structure they will become).  Most of the left over cells
die, but some stick around and there seems to be at least some hope that
the left-overs can be coaxed into replacing the dying cells in the
substantia nigra.  Second, a number of ongoing studies are looking at WHY
aging brain cells in some people die faster than in other people of the
same age.  If we could determine this mechanism  and causation, the goal
would be to try to keep aging brain cells alive longer.

At 07:12 PM 10/1/98 -0300, you wrote:
>Hilary wrote:
>
>>I seem to remember that neural cells are different - they are not
>>replaced, but we are born with the same cells we have till we die  - can
>>anybody back me up?
>
>I'm not sure if I can back you up (I don't have any science degrees - just
>history), but that is certainly my understanding. As we age we lose neural
>cells and it is often said that eventually everyone will lose a certain
>percentage of the dopamine-producing cells resulting in Parkinson's.
>Everyone gets Parkinson's if they live long enough!
>
>That has always explained, for me, why for so long Parkinson's was seen as a
>condition of ageing -- an old person's condition. I find that the
>consideration now about the inter-relationship of a genetic predisposition
>and an environmental or some other trigger causing a catastrophic death of
>these cells (or perhaps turning them off) is a persuasive explanation for
>the seemingly rising incidence of young onset Parkinson's.
>
>TTFN
>Peter

>Peter Kidd
>Learning Materials Consulting Services
>62 Coronation Avenue, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3N 2M6 Canada
>Tel/FAX: (902) 443-4262 Email: [log in to unmask]

Carole L.  Cassidy, CFRE
Director of Developmenet and Community Relations
The Parkinson's Institute
1170 Morse Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA  94089
408-542-5628 direct line