^^^^^^WARM GREETINGS  FROM^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ivan Suzman         48/12         [log in to unmask]
Portland, Maine    Land of lighthouses   56    deg. F
Hi folks,

   This morning I was surprised by a bit of VERY hopeful news.

   Sara  A.Holmbom, Staff Assistant to Maine Senator Susan M. Collins,
telephoned me at home, to say that Senator Collins intends to join other
U.S. Senators in signing on to a letter just drafted by Joan  Samuelson
of the Parkinson's Action Network.

  I would URGE you to ask your own 2 Senators to do likewise.  Joan
Samuelson can be reached at (202) 628-2079 for details.  Congress is
scheduled to ADJOURN on October 9, so this is URGENT.

   The letter is to go to the U.S. Senate Appropriations Chairman,  Sen.
Arlen Spector of Pennsylvania. It urges him to include a directive from
the Senate Appropriations Committee to the National Institute of Health,
to spend $100,000,00.00 on Parkinson's-focussed research in the 1999
fiscal year, which, technically, began yesterday, and runs from Oct. 1,
1998 through Sept. 30, 1999.

    I did contact the local office of U.S. Senator Olympia Snowe of Maine
a few minutes ago, and her staff assistant informed me that the letter is
to be faxed momentarily from Portland office to Washington, D.C., so that
Senator Snowe can consider signing on immediately.

  Again, PLEASE contact your two U.S. Senators at your very first
opportunity.

    Ivan Suzman 48/12