Paralysed author stars again with novel

London - It has taken him 11 painstaking years. But Christy Nolan, the
paralysed author whose triumphant autobiography won the 1987 Whitbread Prize,
has finally completed his first novel.

Set in his native Ireland, 'The Banyan Tree' is an epic 120,000-word work to
be published next June by Weidenfeld and Nicolson, which paid what is believed
to be a six-figure sum for the British rights.

Ion Trewin, the managing director of Weidenfeld, who met Christy for the first
time last week, said: "The book is extraordinary - a wonderful story,
beautifully told. It is Joycean in its quality. When you think of Christy's
disabilities it is an even more remarkable work. But the novel is a tremendous
piece of writing by any standards."

Wheelchair-bound Christy, 33, who lives with his parents in Dublin, has been
mute and paralysed since his brain was starved of oxygen for two hours at
birth. Yet he has managed to write with the aid of a rod, or unicorn stick,
attached to a head-band which lets him slowly tap out words on a typewriter.

His collection of poems, 'Dam-Burst of Dreams', was published when he was just
14 and he went on to make history when he won one of Britain's top literary
awards, the Whitbread prize.

The award-winning autobiography, 'Under the Eye of the Clock', movingly
describes his life, friends, parents and his triumphant battle to study at
Trinity College, Dublin.

Christy has used the same labour-intensive technique to write 'The Banyan
Tree', a multi-generational story of a family that begins in the twenties and
goes through to the eighties. At one point, displeased with the direction the
plot was taking, he discarded 35 pages of text. This would irritate any
author, but for Christy it represented nine months' work.

He is, however, a perfectionist. "My mind is just like a spin-dryer at full
speed; my thoughts fly around my skull while millions of beautiful words
cascade down into my lap", he said. "Images gunfire across my consciousness.
Try, then, to imagine how frustrating it is to give expression to that
avalanche in efforts of one great nod after another".

Christy's mother, Bernadette, says that the completion of the novel had been
her son's goal for the past decade, but at one point she had tried to get him
to abandon the project.

"When he was 6 years into it, I got fed up and said to him "Please stop. This
is ridiculous, Christy. We're none of us having any kind of life," she said.

"I told him that no one would criticize him for not finishing the book, that
at least he had tried, but suggested that he should give up.

"I will never forget the look he gave me. I could see that he was horrified
that I should even suggest giving up. He was hurt and shocked. It was just one
look but it told me everything I needed to know."

Christy had worked on the book every day for the past 11 years, she said.
"Sometimes he'd go at it from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. At other times he would start,
then shake his head when the inspiration wasn't coming."

Christy was six when his mother was told by a doctor that he had the brain of
a baby. But a subsequent test found that his IQ was verging on that of a
genius. In the years that followed Mrs. Nolan and her husband, Joe, did all
they could to stimulate the mind of their handicapped son.

And Christy has never been idle. In 1989, two years after winning the
Whitbread Prize, he co-wrote 'Torchlight and Laser Beam', a play, and formed
the company, Heliotrope, to take the production to the Edinburgh Festival.

by Jo Knowsley
The Daily Telegraph
published in the Ottawa Citizen 30 September 1998

janet paterson - 51/10 - almonte/ontario/canada
http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/