from the Parkinson=92s Action Network
[log in to unmask]    Call:     800-850-4726
contact Michael Claeys of the
Parkinson=92s Action Network at 202-628-2079.
          Email:   [log in to unmask]

          Fax:     707-544-2363

          Mail:     Parkinson's Action Network
                      818 College Avenue, Suite C
                      Santa Rosa, CA  95404
TELEPHONE SCRIPT

      Hello, my name is ________ from ________.  I am calling to ask
Senator ________ to make sure that the Senate appropriates $100 million
for Parkinson=92s-focused research when the 1999 Labor-HHS
Appropriations bill goes to the Senate floor.

     This is important to me because . . . [briefly describe your connecti=
on
to Parkinson=92s, and its devastating impact on you and your family
convey your sense of urgency!]

     As a supporter of the Morris K. Udall Parkinson=92s Research Act of
1997, Senator ________  needs to know that a group of key Parkinson=92s
researchers have recently found that most of the money NIH claims is
spent on Parkinson=92s will in fact have little or no impact on it.  The
researchers reviewed the actual grants the NIH counted as
=93Parkinson=92s,=94 and found the NIH is =93padding=94 the total with $67=
 million in
grants that are not related to Parkinson=92s disease.

     This means that only about $40 million will be spent on
Parkinson=92s-focused research in 1999.  This is only $3 million more in r=
eal
Parkinson=92s research than last year.

     The Senate Labor-HHS Appropriations report includes nice-sounding
language about the Udall Act, but it does not correct the problem.  In lig=
ht
of this new information, Congress must direct the NIH to fund the Udall
Act.

     We in the Parkinson=92s community expect there to be action addressin=
this problem when the Labor-HHS Appropriations bill is considered on the
Senate floor.  On behalf of my family and friends, I urge Senator
________ to support this floor action and help ensure that at least $100
million in Parkinson=92s-focused research is included in the 1999
Labor-HHS Appropriations bill.

     Thank you for your time.  I will be contacting you again when the
Labor-HHS bill goes to the Senate floor.

(If questions arise that you aren=92t comfortable answering, or the staff
person wants more information, ask him/her to contact Michael Claeys of
the Parkinson=92s Action Network at 202-628-2079.)