KEn Becker wrote:
> If you see a patient walking down the street
> with the IV bag and tubing still attached to his arm, so insurance doesn't
> have to pay for another day, try not to laugh

I had an experience almost like that at Kaiser last year, and was
very pleased with it.  Briefly, I walked into the emergency room
with a small dermal cyst that mysteriously became an open abcess.
They literally sprang into action and rushed me to their Home
Infusion Center, where a very competent nurse carefully instructed
me on what to do. They put a needle in an arm vein, with a short
plastic tube carefully taped in place, and a kit of syringes with a
potent antibiotic, to use and discard. I don't recall for sure, I
think it was three per day for a week. First saline, to prevent a
clot from blocking the needle, then the cephalosporin. The reason
for their quick response is that occasionaly the germ (which turned
out to be ordinary staph) is the "flesh-eating bacteria" that you
may have read about, very dangerous. But instead of a week supine
in a hospital bed, I was able to go home and continue routine
activity, with no discomfort or inconvenience (except for the odd
bandage on one wrist). So Kaiser (and Medicare) saved some money,
and I was spared a week in the hospital. No complaint.
Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694