Thu, 8 Oct 1998 00:25:41 -0400 judith richards <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<<<< I understood the point you were making, and my post was intended to
illustrate the fact that what works for one PWP might not work for
another. I agree completely that we must be very alert about our meds,
because only we know how our systems react. >>>>

Judith, thanks for your clarification!

<<<< BTW:    Did you know that Amitriptyline can have influence on the
(side-)effects of Levodopa, and vice versa?

I'm not aware of any specific influence these drugs have on each other.
Can you elaborate? >>>>

NO, at least not yet.
All I can say is that it is a warning (amongst others) in the paper enclosed
with the Amitriptyline.

As you know I'm combining several "contra-indicated-meds-lists".

Until now the following questions need solving:

What is causing the difference between the several lists? (Criteria?)
WHY are the meds on the lists?
Why are some med(group)s NOT on the lists?
Are they no good with PD, or with PD-MEDS?
Are they no good in combination with ONE SPECIFIC PD-med, or with ALL PD-meds?
Some medcombinations can cause severe problems and are ABSOLUTELY forbidden.
Other medcombinations can interfere, but only lightly.
Some interfere when taken by "any" PWP (Often).
Others interfere only in a few PWP (Rare).
Some interfere with the actual effects of the PD-meds, others with the
side-effects. (and some with both).

Necessary ingredients would be:
- Generic names and all brand names (in USA and rest of the world).
- what PD-meds they interfere with.
- why and/or where and/or how they interfere.
- in what gradation they interfere.
- absolutely or relatively contra-indicated.
- possible save alternative(s).

I'm sure other questions will pop up in the process.

IMO the current lists are too simplified, thus raising more questions and
confusion than giving an answer. On the other hand such information must
remain accessable for the mean/median/average/whatever PWP: wants clear
information, but without having to become a neuro or a pharmacist!!

Hans.