Dear Barb,

I've been reading  your Soc. Sec.-related postings with much interest, and
with foreboding.  As one who is about to begin the process of an initial
application quite soon (I phoned three weeks ago to start it off with my
local, Lawrence, MA SS office, and the best they could do insofar as even
answering the phone was to respond via voice mail message, to which I replied,
which resulted in a note to me inviting me to a telephone conversation
appointment three weeks from now at a time of their choosing),  I really have
appreciated the chance to learn something of what you've encountered.  For
whatever reasons, it does seem like an incredible set of overlapping
quagmires.  At least, thanks to you, I am forewarned and will set my
expectations accordingly.

John Bachman