A quite hopeful article titled "The causes of Parkinson's disease
are being unraveled and rational neuroprotective therapy is close to
reality" by Drs. Marsden of the Institute of Neurology in London and
Olanow of Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York appeared in Annals
of Neurology, issue September 1998 vol. 44 (3 Suppl 1) pp. S189-96.

According to the Medline Abstract, there are so many new
neuroprotective agents ready to be tested that the usual clinical
trials procedures will be a bottleneck.  "...It is evident that
conventional approaches to trials that utilize large numbers of
patients in search of small incremental effects are costly and time
consuming. As such, it will be virtually impossible to test all of
the potentially valuable neuroprotective agents that are now at hand,
let alone those that will likely soon emerge. We suggest that it may
be more profitable to test a large number of agents in a small number
of selected patients in search of a more robust neuroprotective
effect. In this way, we will reduce the risk of missing a powerful
neuroprotective treatment with a treatment that might not otherwise
have been studied because of a lack of time, money, or patients."

The Medline abstract ID numbers are: UI - 98420021, PMID- 9749592.

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ