hi bruce

you wrote, in part
>...name any industry.  There are going to be abuses against
>individuals by companies in that industry. It's just the way of things...

the key words here for me
as a canadian with mid-atlantic experience
are 'companies' and 'industry'

in simplistic terms, as i understand it,
health care in ontario [my experience] was established
on the premise of providing the best posible health care to all ontario
citizens
regardless of their financial status or ability to pay

viz
i am receiving 'family benefits'
[meaning i am leaning on society for assistance because i'm broke]
pending disability pension approval

under these conditions
i pay nothing for medical appointments
and only $2.00 for every prescription filled

admitting to my need and 'facing the music'
was one of the hardest things i've ever had to do
[stubborn stubborn pride]
but what a blessing and what a relief
to know that non-judgmental help was there for the asking

without getting into the financial nitty gritties of 'socialized health care'
the society we each live in has to consciously make the decision
as to whether to live as a 'family'
or as 'rugged individuals'
are we our siblings' keepers or not?

the ethic of 'rugged individualism' is an illusion
per scott peck:
"...the reality is that we do not exist either by or for ourselves. If I think
with integrity at all,  I have to recognize immediately that my life is
nurtured not only by the earth and the rain and the sun but also by farmers,
publishers, and booksellers, as well as by my children, wife, friends, and
teachers - indeed by the entire fabric of family, society, and creation. I am
not solely an individual. I am interdependent, and much of the time I do not
even have the right to act 'ruggedly' ."

in simplistic terms, as i understand it,
any corporation's primary goal is profits for its shareholders
regardless of its field of endeavour

the idea of a profit motive being the sole basis for health care
sends shivers down my spine
in the same way that
a profit motive being the sole basis for education does
or
taking it all a bit further
a profit motive being the sole basis for life does

janet

janet paterson - 51/10 - almonte/ontario/canada
http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/