Hello all: You have all just hit upon some subjects that I had never
given much thought to: 1) "How are you?" and I always grin (pained) and
say "I've had better years!" figuring that it should be perfectly
obvious to everyone that I'm not "fine". More than likely, I've limited
my times when I  "venture forth" to periods when I'm sure to be "on" and
try very hard not to let people see me (especially not my husband or
mother!) see me at my worst-because they would worry too much. I try to
shake & suffer in private!-it seemed somehow more noble (& I'm afraid
that if
anyone saw how bad it can get that they wouldn't understand the nature
of the beast & realize that my bad times are usually in direct
proportion to my good times: x=good; y=bad & they can come in many &
varied combinations & would clip my wings for good!) Boy, talk about
your run-on sentences!! Dennis you were right on the mark, again. I have
been guilty of minimizing my pain & trying to play spin doctor with my
symptoms to help ME handle it. Gina, what you said about friends really
cut close to the bone: I used to be in with the "in" crowd, or who I
perceived to be "in" but as my disease got worse, I began to make
different friends: caring, compassionate, understanding friends, who
have seen me at my worst-they have picked me up off the floor, shoved &
tugged to get my fat butt out of cars & into doctor appointments & who
suffer with me! The difference is startling. One of my old friends
cannot deal with my disease to the point of actually talking to my kids
rather than me (i.e.: "Hey kids, how's mom doin'?" when I'm standing
right there!), while her sister-in-law is one of the most patient,
caring & loving people I know now. I just am thankful for finding the
people who care the most are the ones who will help out the most. I'd
also like to thank Bob Dolezal for his grasp of numbers & for pointing
out that we are one of the most misrepresented  & misunderstood &
non-vocal groups going. The other day, watching yet another ad for an
event (breast cancer, prostate cancer, heart, lungs, Alzheimer's, all
good & noble causes with good & noble celebrity spokespersons), my
husband asked me if it didn't bother me that no one ever hears about
Parkinson's. Well, now it does! I guess we're the only ones who can
change our destiny & other people's perceptions of us & that's what we
must do-starting today!
---
Joan Snyder  (47/10/8) <[log in to unmask]>
"Do or do not. There is no try."  Yoda
http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/snyder/page1.htm