Hi Marling:
It was that thing you said about "spitting" that rattled this morning's
sunburst from my mind.  Actually, the sunburst started a few days ago with a
letter from a dear friend who was diagnosed at about the same time as me.
She had been out to dinner with some "friends" who, as the evening
progressed, spun the conversation wheel to chronic illness.  Their
determination about the quantity of grace they would surely use in gliding
through such an experience (shd. it ever happen) was capped with the comment
by one to "shoot her if she ever needed reading glasses."  My friend sat in
stunned disbelief,  excused herself and went to the washroom.  (No one shd.
even think for a  second that the reality of her condition was unknown to
them.  They were well aware.) I replied to my friend with a spit to these
people,  and as much love for her as I could send.  But it left me very
angry.  I live across a continent from her.  The longing to have been able
to intervene at that moment was finally satisfied in my own corner of the
world this morning.  Perhaps I over reacted.  But I felt strong after I did
it.  I felt that I would not let my symptoms be trivialized.  Here's the
scene:  an English dept. office in a high school.  Teacher 1 says, "Barb,
you're clearing your throat, do you have a cold?"  I say, "No, actually
believe  it or not I've been clearing my throat for about 10 yrs.  I used to
think I was allergic to chalkdust.  But then I found out that PD affects the
swallowing reflex, so I figure it might have been an early sign, I don't
know."  Teacher 1, "PD affects swallowing?"  Barb, "Yeah, sometimes if I'm
eating and my mouth is dry I have to remind myself to be careful here."
Teacher 2. "Really? Well I have to be careful about eating with a dry mouth
too.  I don't have PD."  (here's where I realligned the universe for me and
my far away friend.) Barb. "Yeah and I'm sure you're a little stiff in the
morning when you get out of bed, and you probably shake when you're excited
or scared, and you might fall from time to time because everyone loses their
balance right? And when you're tired, you probably walk real slow.  But you
know, put them all together and it spells........"
Ok, sorry, if I was too strong.  And there's more water that's passed under
this bridge than I'm taking the time to tell.  But Marling, "spitting" is
exactly the right word.  Barb