robert l dolezal wrote:
> To the editor:
> I am writing to request clarification of statistical data presented in The
> New England Journal of Medicine 1998;339:1105-1111, an article entitled
> "Brain Surgery Helps Severe Parkinson's."

Bob, one of us is confused. At the Kaiser Medical Library just today
I copied the first page of the article at the location you cite. Its
title is:
"Electrical Stimulation Of The Subthalamic Nucleus In Advanced
Parkinson's Disease" by P. Limousin and several others including
one of the principal developers of DBS for PD, A. Benabid. It's
a good account of their long-term follow-up of 24 DBS recipients,
but I must have missed the disturbing estimates of PD incidence
that prompted your letter. Cheers,
Joe

Disease"
--