One has to wonder when in the name of  "concern", and regaining personal
control, a piece of advice is given which serves to deny that control and
negate the very process through which that control can be honestly realised.
The wonder is, why does Marling's anger threaten you to the extent that you
would advise a fellow sufferer to "work through" it rather than offer
support in validating it? This echos the "stuff happens get over it"
philosophy of those still processing through the denial stage. When
accepting the unacceptable in our lives, as we watch helplessly what we can
control transform into irretrievable loss, the one thing we do have control
over is the unleashed, open and free expression of our feelings. Elizabeth
Kubler-Ross' stages of acceptance are now an integral part of mainstream
understanding.  Debate may question their accuracy, but they still give
structure to the process of accepting the loss of our health, our hopes, our
plans for future fulfillment, our very identity.  Nothing can rush this
process, but we can delay it, particularly if we avoid conscious
acknowledgement of the stages as we experience them.  What Marling has done
is publicly affirm her unyielding and adamant anger. This was an act of
formidable courage.  Anger is an empowering emotion.  By attesting to it
publicly, she in fact empowered herself.  I personally have faith in the
process of acceptance, as I have faith in the process of growth in all its
forms.  I do not need to advise someone who  is proceeding perfectly well
through this process to alter her path.  Rather, my response to Marling is
Bravo!  "Do not go gentle into that good night/ Rage, rage against the dying
of the light." (Dylan Thomas)
Barb Rager