Bonnie and Gina, I am a retired infection control nurse and still keep
up. However, I just called a friend of mine who is still working. The
current EPA rules state that  needles should be put in a rigid
container, sealed before disposal. I used to (and still do ) recommend a
coffee can., then cover the top (plastic) with duct tape and put it in
the trash (it goes to a land fill.). If I had kids at home, I would use
a smaller container, but sealed the same way for the trash men.  The
hospitals I worked did not and still do not accept needles. they would
have to hire more people and you know how that goes. Hospitals do not
make a lot of  money , despite their charges. Actually insulin needles
have almost no risk, there is no blood in them. I suppose that you could
get an infection from a puncture wound, that would be from dirt, not a
blood borne disease. Then (my comment) you pray they do not wash up on
your beaches.

Thanks , Nita