There has been discussions on the list about a symbol for PD. I had said
that our new organization, Maine Parkinson Society, would use both the
tulip and the hour glass. We have recently acquired non profit status , and
are now focused on fund raising. In discussions with other health
organization and marketing people, we found that the tulip would be more
marketable.

PD is a horrible disease and the hour glass does signify the dark side.
However , other diseases share the hour glass feeling. I don't have PD, but
our daughter , Karen, has. I have heart disease; had open heart surgery 10
years ago and at age 71, I have a hour glass with a short span. Every baby
born has their own hour glass. The marketing theory is for a symbol which
will be used every time we educate and fund raise for Parkinson's. My
friends from other health organizations relate how important it is for a
Disease group to have a positive logo. We have large summer colonies of
wealthy people in Maine. They have many gardens. We think the tulip will be
successful in attracting people to our cause with fund raising and
education.  We couldn't see how the hour glass could be physically utilized
as a positive fund raising tool.

Canada starting using the tulip in 1984. In 1981, Mr. J.W.S. Van der
Werrrreld, the renowned Dutch horticulturalist, himself a PWP, registered "
The Dr. James Parkinson Tulip" to honor Dr James Parkinson. We plan on
selling this tulip as a fund raising tool and for Maine Parkinson Society
logo.
Our letterhead is covered with tulips and " The tulip is our symbol of
hope"  Congress has apparently raised the NIH budget by 14 %. We haven't
yet heard if PD will have their share of the increase, but there is hope.
PWP's hope is that more research will discover the cause of PD and better
treatment. We must retain that hope and continue the fight in Congress.

Our tulip decision is based on hard headed marketing advice. It would be
great if the rest of the USA would join Maine and Canada in the tulip
symbol for PWP's.