Gina,
I think you hit the nail on the head.  "honesty".  I just want people
to be honest.  I do not want to cover up anything.  I am not saying
that I want to push my disorder in everyone's faces, but I do not
want them to blind themselves to it either.
I have friends who have been fighting cancer.  When I see them and
they look, I say so. However, if I see them and they don't look
good, I ask how they are and if they think treatment is helping
them. I am concerned and not blind.  I do not want cancer, but I will
not ignore that it exists until I get it.
I have friends with diabetes.  I am amazed at so many of these
people and how they can cope with that disorder.  Gina, my hat is
off to you.
I believe that we just need to be honest with each other and
supportive when it is needed, and happy for those who do get
better from whatever ails them.
In my humble opinion.

"don't forget how to laugh, and do it often"
http://members.tripod.com/~marling