In a message dated 1998/10/18  13:24:18, you write:

<<
 Date:    Sat, 17 Oct 1998 15:26:03 -0700
 From:    Marling McReynolds <[log in to unmask]>
 Subject: Re: The Numbers Game/Changing Perceptions

 To George and others who can accept this "thing" as a "gift" and
 go gracefully into their future.  I am very glad for you that you can
 accept it and live with it.
 I CANNOT. I will go kicking and screaming and never giving up.  I
 do not want this disorder and I will not accept  it.  It MUST have a
 CAUSE and a METHOD, and a CURE.  I will not accept anything
 as long as any of us must suffer with this damn thing.
 I feel the same way about many other disorders, but this one is in
 my home everyday, lives within me and I want it OUT.

 Marling McReynolds

i wonder if there is some misunderstanding
about the use of the word "gift" [at least in the way i use it now]

i do not use the term gift here as a
be-ribboned, be-jeweled, be-gift-wrapped frivolity

back to scott peck:
"Life is difficult. This is a great truth, one of the greatest truths. It is a
great truth because once we truly see this truth, we transcend it. Once we
truly know that life is difficult - once we truly understand and accept it -
then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that
life is difficult no longer matters." and: "Life is a series of problems. Do
we want to moan about them or solve them? Do we want to teach our children to
solve them?"

the problems that we face are handed to us are given to us
as tasks to solve and to learn from
just as life is a gift, so is death
so is pain, so is pleasure
all are given as lessons
not punishments
not rewards
just grace

janet

janet paterson - 51/10 - almonte/ontario/canada
http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/