judith richards wrote:
> Subject: How many have PD?
> I have noted the letters recently about statistics concerning the
> number of people with Parkinsons. They range from "one in 20 in the
> U.S." to "1,000,000 in the U.S." to "7,000,000 around the world," and
> from "60,000 in Canada" to "100,000 in Canada." As far as I know, there
> is no registry of Parkinsonians, and no firm numbers anywhere. They are
> all estimates. Some will be more accurate than others.

Right, but that common remark brought me a private flame from
listmember Rita Weeks, who with fellow Nebraskans sweated blood
to get a registry established there, I believe the only one in
the US.

The most credible estimate of PD numbers is that of Lang and Lozano
in the NEJM review I cited recently; 1 million in the US, or about
0.3% of total population. I've seen elsewhere that that includes
about 3% of those over 60, and the proportion will grow as our
population ages.

But mere totals are the least important benefit of a registry. We
might well learn a lot about where PD comes from, and consequently
how to deal with it. Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694