Evidence links infection to Tourette's

NEW YORK, Oct 16 (Reuters) -- Clinical evidence suggests that a
streptococcal infection may trigger Tourette's syndrome in
children genetically predisposed to the condition, according to
information presented this week at the 5th International Congress
of Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders, held in New York City.

For example, in a study of 71 children, researchers found that children
with Tourette's syndrome were more likely to have
antibodies against streptococcus bacteria in their blood, as well as
antibodies that bind to the putamen, a part of the brain that
may be involved in Tourette's. The disorder is characterized by tics,
facial grimaces, and involuntary movement or speech.

``Yes, we can find antibodies,'' said investigator Dr. Harvey S. Singer
of Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, in
an interview with Reuters Health. At this point, however, the
researchers cannot determine if the antibody levels are increasing or
decreasing, or ``if they correlate with anything,'' he said. ``We need
longitudinal studies'' -- studies that follow the health of children at
risk over a period of time.

``We also need studies to determine if a strep infection worsens the
symptoms of Tourette's in children who already exhibit the
disease,'' Singer said.

While the presence of antibodies directed against the putamen in
Tourette's patients suggests a link between these antibodies
and movement disorders, healthy persons have also been found to have the
same antibodies, he said. Children selected for study had a sudden onset
of Tourette's symptoms associated with strep infections, according to
the report.

If the link is confirmed, physicians may treat patients at risk of
Tourette's ``differently from other patients,'' Singer said. For
example, such patients may be immunized or treated with prophylactic
drugs to help prevent streptococcus infections.

``If we can identify specific antibodies, then we can identify the
precise component of the brain cell that reacts to the antibody''
and develop specific therapies against them to prevent exacerbation of
Tourette's syndrome, he explained.
--
Judith Richards, London, Ontario, Canada
                         ^^^