Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:43:00 -0700
From: "J. R. Bruman" <[log in to unmask]>
To: Parkinson's Information Exchange <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: News-Brain surgery helps severe Parkinson's

Peter Kidd wrote:
> I'd like to echo Bob Dolezal's comment about the contributions of Judith
> (and janet and many others who post important news stories on the list).
> On Bob's questions regarding the 7 million figure (and the usual age of
> diagnosis), this only points up a real problem facing Parkinson's and our
> efforts to fund research. The simple fact is that we don't really know how
> many people have Parkinson's. Our numbers are getting a little better,

First, add my thanks for what I know is a very tedious, time-eating
task of searching for latest news about PD. Second, re Peter's
remark: I've pointed out here repeatedly that one of the most
important neglected PD research projects is to discover just who has
PD. That will reveal a lot about when symptoms appear, bias due to
ancestry, occupation, environment, geography, progression, and so
forth. But it can only be done by means of a permanent registry,
not just another finger-in-the-wind survey. And the problems of
setting up a registry are multiple: It needs to be done by government,
which bothers many; it needs international cooperation, which bothers
more; it needs elaborate safeguards to protect individual privacy;
it would cost a lot (doctors and pharmacists need to be paid for
their time); and the reward to researchers is meager (no drug patent
bonanzas, no Nobels, no glamorous laboratories or institutions).
So, I should guess it would be very low priority for the $100 million a
year that NIH is supposed to spend, and it looks like we'll just
have to do without for now. Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694