FINDING THE WORDS

Helen Jc wrote:

>You know, maybe some of us are at fault in minimizing the horror of our
>desease.
>I know I probably am.  It is so important to have a positive attitude for
our
>own well-being, and further, I hate to garner sympathy, .......Hubby says
>my middle name should be "I'm fine".  I'm sure many of my casual friends
>think parkinson's is not too bad.

Helen's comments cut to the quick of our dilemma.  How do we spread the word
about the reality of PD, and still keep the positive attitude we need as
individuals.  (It is also debatable how long we would keep our friends if
every time they asked us how we were we told them in graphic detail).

The truth about PD needs to be told, but just like anything else how much of
it is told at any specific moment depends on the audience.  Whilst I think
those of us who speak about PD in a formal sense should be emphasising the
reality, I am not suggesting that we respond to every "social" use of "how
are you" with the full treatment.  However even at that level it is possible
to remind people that "I'm Fine" refers to your mental and spiritual
wellbeing, not your physical condition.  At one time or another I have used
each of the following responses.

*"I'm fine, but my body's having a bad day"
*"Fine thanks, and when they cure PD I'll be better."
*"Fine - There's nothing wrong with me that a cure for Parkinson's won't
fix."
*"Fine - for a man with my problems" (this one needs to be used sparingly -
and always with a BIG grin).
*"Fine - all things considered"

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 48/onset 32 /dx 37

"It is better to be a crystal and be broken,
Than to be a perfect tile upon the housetop."

http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/