Quote:

burn when staff or appropriations committee or any official government
staff person says like the fellow on C-SPAN you mention below that  NIH
doesn't think the congress should earmark funds for any specific disease.

 Why can't our elected officials speak on our behalf, pass laws
specifically earmarking funds for pd research?  We elect rep/sen to speak
in our behalf to spend the tax dollars we all contribute.  Certainly $40
annually per pd diagnosed person in the USA/Canada that has previously been
spent can be raised as per Udall bill lang.  What are lobbies for if not to
insure that tax dollars are spent the way taxpayers want?  Most of the
supporting sen/rep of Udall bill are more informed about
costs/problems/devistation of pd than the fellow on C-SPAN probably ever
might be and can speak for the pd community when they say "Keep the $$$ in
Udall bill committed to pd research."
Unquote.

I see that there are some people who are favoring Earmarking for research. I am
a physicist and as such
 I hear of issues relating to funding of research projects. While the notion of
supporting worthwhile projects
is laudable, unfortunately  earmarking has led to the most egregious abuses by
our representatives and
senators. How, you might ask. Well, if the research is done in MY state or
district then I want the grants even
if the research is "Golden Fleece". Millions of dollars have been wasted with
Earmarking. So, in general it is
dangerous to give the individuals (Senators or Representatives) such  power to
influence decisions in their
favor and rather force the process to be more equitable.
K-F Etzold