>I think I heard on the radio that the virus which causes MS has been
>identified and that drugs that slow or halt the symptom progression have
>been identified. Has anyone else heard this and can they kindly give me
>details

The virus is a common one - I think they called it Herpes 6.  It is a
prevalent Herpes virus against which most people develop antibodies in their
early childhood.  For some reason, MS patients are especially susceptible to
this virus.  The wide majority (if not all) specimens collected from M.S.
patients contained Herpes 6.

Although the treatment was not mentioned on TV, I imagine that Acyclovir (or
Zovirax) may be a front-line  medication.  It is commonly used for other
Herpes infections.
-----
Regards
Mary Ann