Janet Paterson wrote:

> hi all
>
> it just occurred to me
> i don't know what Rx means other than prescription
> what is its source? [i presume latin]
> what about dx? for diagnosis? is it an 'official' term?

Janet,

Yes, Rx means prescription.  It is from a latin word, and is used
extensively.

Here are several other commonly used medical abbreviations:
        Dx - Diagnosis... yes, it is very official.. :)
        Txn - Treatment
        Sx - Symptoms
        HS - Bedtime (Hour of Sleep)
        D - Day... used in combination with other words or letters
        H - Hour
        PRN - As needed... also from a Latin phrase
        NPO - Nothing by mouth (don't eat or drink anything!)... also from
Latin
        ABX - Antibiotics
        Q - Every  (as in QD - every day, QHS - every bedtime, Q12H - every
12 hours)
        XRT - X-ray Treatment (Radiation Therapy)

I will stop here to avoid confusion and to keep the other docs from getting
upset with me for giving away too many of our secrets!! (Actually, these and
many other abbreviations save us literally hours and days of writing out
individual words)  :))

Good luck!

Faye, CG for Kees, 48/9
aka dokfaye