Hello,

Hre's an idea.  I looked over some of the NIH web pages and found
them to be quite extensive. Because so many of the people who serve
at the NIH are computer literate, computer communication is used
widely there. This provides an opportunity for some needed NIH
watching.

A few communications channels other than the web are used. Meeting
notices are posted in the Federal Register, which is published
on-line by the US Government Printing Office www.gpo.gov.  Testimony
before and reporting to Congressional committees by NIH personnel are
published in the Congressional Record, which also is on-line via GPO.
 The NIH has a listserv program, which runs a number of mailing lists
for NIH special interest groups as well as a list which sends out
the table of contents of a larger publication of grant
announcements.  But web pages seem to be used for most communication
intended for the public, and for a significant quantity of internal
communications as well.

I found a bi-weekly newsletter, called the NIH Record. You get to it
by clicking on "news".  The latest issue (10/20/98) contains an
article about the public meeting which NIH Director Varmus held on
the subject of the Office of Public Liaison and the Council of Public
Representatives, which the Institute of Medicine had recommended in
its review of NIH priority setting.  From a search of NIH web pages
using the word "Parkinson's" I found a news article on research being
conducted at Henry Ford Hospital about lead (the metal) as a possible
cause of PD. I found that the National Institute of Environmental
Health Science is soliciting research proposals on research into
environmental causes of PD which involves not just epidemiology but
also research into the action of toxins on nerve cells.

There are a few people on the list who voluntarily provide us the
service of posting medical news.  I see a need for someone to be the
NIH watcher, and to re-post to our list news items which originate
from the NIH, or at least indicate the existence of them elsewhere
and give the internet addresses for them.  With an increase in NIH
funding and instructions from Congress in the reports accompanying
the appropriations bills on spending funds for Udall purposes, there
will be a number of PD-related things to watch out for.  One example
is the three new centers of excellence announcement, an official
version of which should be forthcoming.  And there should be a
notice sometime in the future of a further public meeting on IOM
recommendations regarding research priority setting.

Somtimes getting to the NIH info requires a bit of searching and a
familiarity with the web pages organization.  It would provide us a
great service if someone were to undertake being the list's expert
NIH watcher.

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 60/dx 1990