New York, October 23 --The publishers of a new book on Muhammad Ali threw a
spiffy launch party at a trendy downtown restaurant here yesterday evening.
Both Muhammad and Lonnie Ali were there to sign copies of the book, as was
author David Remnick, who is the new editor of the New Yorker magazine, and a
host of journalists and literati.

The nice touch for listmembers and PD activists generally: the Alis had asked
that all proceeds of the bash (including sales of signed copies at $100
apiece) go to support Parkinson's research--specifically, for the world-class
center for PD research at Emory University that is directed by Dr. Mahlon de
Long.  (Incidentally, Emory is one of APDA's centers for advanced research in
Parkinson's disease; they should be proud of what their support has
accomplished.)

It was good to see PD so highlighted at an event that is on its face far
removed from our field.  We are all grateful to the Alis for all they have
done to raise the profile of PD in the world and to those in the
movement--especially our friends at the NPF--who have contributed so ably to
bringing this about.

The book--King of the World: Muhammad Ali and the Rise of an American Hero--is
published by Random House and retails at $25.  (A Barnes and Noble rep I
talked to at the party told me it would be subject to their 10 percent
discount, bringing the price down to $22.50).  I should warn you, however,
that the book contains virtually no discussion of Muhammad's Parkinson's.

Robin Elliott, Executive Director, Parkinson's Disease Foundation