I've been out of action since Wednesday because of a bad cold, but I
think I'm on the mend. This article really caught my eye. Two years
before I was diagnosed, I was referred to a neurologist because of my
headaches, but at that time they were attributed to stress. Since I
started taking Sinemet, I haven't had any migraines.

Parkinson's disease may alter migraine

By E.J. Mundell

MONTREAL, Oct 21 (Reuters) -- The onset of Parkinson's disease is often
associated with an alteration in migraine symptoms, according to a study
presented this week at the annual meeting of the American Neurological
Association.

The findings lend support to the theory that the neurotransmitter
dopamine plays a role in migraine, the Italian researchers
conclude.

The team, led by Dr. Piero Barbanti of the Headache Centre of the
Department of Neurosciences at the Universiti La Sapienza
in Rome, Italy, investigated the course of migraine in a group of 50
Parkinson's patients with a history of migraine.

According to their report, 31 of these patients ``revealed a
modification of migraine after the onset of (Parkinson's disease).''
Migraine disappeared in 6 patients, improved in 23, and worsened in 2.

The researchers note that in those patients whose migraine symptoms
improved, the improvement often coincided with the start
of Parkinson's drug therapy, mainly levodopa or dopamine agonists.

Speaking with Reuters Health, Barbanti speculated that there are two
possible mechanisms linking Parkinson's disease and
migraine. The first is that Parkinson's therapy results in increased
levels of the chemical dopamine in the brain. He pointed out
that other drugs that imitate the action of dopamine ``are effective
prophylactic agents in migraine.''

A second explanation, said Barbanti, is that degeneration in certain
areas of the brain due to Parkinson's disease ``may
somehow play a role in the modification of the course of migraine.''

Barbanti said pharmacological studies involving Parkinson's-affected
patients with migraine are currently underway. ``Our
opinion is that these studies might provide further elements for a
better definition of migraine pathophysiology and for more
specific and effective therapeutic agents,'' he said.
--
Judith Richards, London, Ontario, Canada
                         ^^^