She's hip: Patient sings, stays awake during surgery

London - A patient who elected to stay awake during hip-replacement surgery
sang along to opera and musicals to take her mind off the operation.

Rosemary Owen, who had previously suffered side effects from a general
anaesthetic, chose Luciano Pavarotti and Andrew Lloyd Webber numbers as an
alternative. She even played conductor to some songs as she lay in the
operating theatre.

Mrs. Owen said she asked medical staff to play the taped music through-out the
two-hour procedure in the hope it would stop her hearing the surgeons talking
about finer points of the operation.

The 60-year-old, who had an epidural injection, which numbs the body from the
waist down, said, "It felt more like 20 minutes. I was fully conscious but
didn't feel a thing.  I didn't feel worried or anything; I may as well have
been going to see a show I was so relaxed."

She added; "Very soon I was happily singing along and got completely carried
away. When 'Phantom of the Opera' struck up, I said it was my favourite. I was
conducting the music with my hands as the surgeons worked away."

Although Mrs. Owens, a mother of four, considers herself a "tone-deaf bathroom
singer" , she was happy to tackle other favourites from the Lloyd Webber hit
musicals, including 'Memory',  'Take That Look Off Your Face', and 'Don't Cry
for Me, Argentina'. She also joined in a Pavarotti rendition of 'Nesum Dorma'
with gusto. It fittingly translates to "none shall sleep".

Mrs. Owen, who has had trouble with her hip since a fall on holiday two years
ago, said: "I could see what was happening and sang my head off and nobody
cared. I felt absolutely great afterwards. For the first time in years, I can
walk without suffering any pain."

A hospital spokesman said, "Singing an opera at the top of your voice
demonstrates that an operation, when awake, is nothing to fear."

Printed in the Ottawa Citizen 23 October 1998

janet paterson - 51/41/37 - almonte/ontario/canada
http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/