The following statements were made in the Senate during
consideration of the conference report accompanying the omnibus
spending bill HIR 4328, and are recorded in the Congressional Record
issue of October 21, 1998 (Senate), pp. S12771-2.

Mr. COCHRAN. Mr. President, one year ago this body adopted, by a
vote of 95 to 3, legislation increasing our nation's commitment to
finding the cause and cure for a long overlooked, but truly
devastating disorder: Parkinson's disease. I was proud to cosponsor
and vote for the Morris K. Udall Parkinson's Disease Research Act,
signed into law as part of the Fiscal 1998 Labor, Health and Human
Services, Education and Related Agencies Appropriations Act. The
Udall Act authorized $100 million in research focused on Parkinson's
disease to be funded through the National Institutes of Health in
fiscal year 1998, 1999 and beyond.   The passage of the Udall Act was
a great accomplishment, particularly for the hundreds and thousands
of victims, and their families and friends, who worked so diligently
to bring this issue to the Congress and make us aware of the need
for additional Parkinson's research funding. I would also like to
commend the Senior Senator from Pennsylvania, one of the true
champions of medical research, for his strong support of the Udall
Act and Parkinson's research.

Mr. SPECTER. I appreciate the remarks of my friend from Mississippi.
He is correct that Parkinson's disease is a very serious disability,
but one for which medical science does hold great promise. In
addition, I too would like to commend the efforts of the Parkinson's
community who have worked tirelessly to achieve passage of the Udall
Act and increase funding for Parkinson's research.

Mr. COCHRAN. Mr. President, I am concerned that the National
Institutes of Health has implemented neither the letter nor the
spirit of the Udall Act, and that funding for Parkinson's-focused
research has not increased in a fashion consistent with Congressional
intent. An independent analysis, conducted by Parkinson's researchers
at institutions all around the country, of the grants NIH defined as
its Parkinson's research portfolio for fiscal year 1997 indicates
that a majority of the grants are in fact not focused on Parkinson's
disease. Only 34 percent of the funding NIH claims is Parkinson's
research is actually Parkinson's-focused research, as required by the
Udall Act. As troubling as that is, the study also found that 38
percent of the funding has no relation whatsoever to finding a cause
or cure for this terrible affliction.   It is my understanding from
published NIH budgetary documents that $106 million is expected to be
allocated to Parkinson's research in fiscal year 1999. My concern is
that without more direction from Congress, the NIH will undermine
the intent of the Udall Act by continuing to classify, as part of its
Parkinson's portfolio, research that is not focused on Parkinson's
disease and, in doing so, will allow meritorious and much-needed
Parkinson's research projects to go unfunded. I propose that a
hearing be held early in 1999 to address and clarify these matters.

Mr. SPECTER. The gentleman has brought up important issues, which
warrant further discussion.

Mr. CRAIG. As a sponsor of the Udall Act and supporter of
Parkinson's research funding, I appreciate the Chairman's interest in
these matters. The NIH claimed to spend more than $89 million on
Parkinson's research in 1997. The Congress set a baseline
authorization of $100 million for Parkinson's research in the fiscal
year 1998 bill making NIH appropriations and clearly stated in
report language that Congressional intent was to increase the
commitment of NIH resources to Parkinson's. Close review of NIH's
Parkinson's funding practices indicates that most of the research
funding they define as Parkinson's is, in fact, not focused on
Parkinson's at all. The NIH claimed to spend more than $89 million
on Parkinson's research, in FY 1997. In reality, we later discovered
that less than $31 million--just more than one third--of that
research was truly focused on Parkinson's. Obviously there seems to
be some disconnect here. Congress needs to be as clear as possible
when communicating our intent to NIH, and diligent when overseeing
their funding practices with regard to Parkinson's. I agree with
Senator Cochran that hearings should be held early next year to
address these issues, and I look forward to working with him, the
Chairman, and others to see this resolved.

[continued on part 2 of 3]