 Mr. SPECTER. I thank the gentleman from Idaho and look forward to
future discussions on his suggestions. It is a pleasure to recognize
the sponsor of the Udall Act, and someone who remains very close to
Mo and the Udall family, the distinguished Senator from Arizona.

Mr. McCAIN. I thank my friend from Pennsylvania. The Senator is
correct that this is an issue of personal importance to me, and I
appreciate his support as we work to defeat this terrible disease. I
would also like to acknowledge the tremendous efforts of the
Parkinson's community--courageous individuals in my state and all
across the country who have worked so hard to pass the Udall Act and
continue to work to achieve its full funding.   There are an
estimated one million Americans living with Parkinson's disease, and
the nature of its symptoms are such that they impact heavily on
families and loved ones as well. Add to these staggering human costs
the fiscal burden of health care expenses and lost productivity, and
it's easy to see that Parkinson's deserves to be a higher national
priority. Parkinson's disease also represents a real research
opportunity, where an investment of funds is likely to yield
improved therapies sure to reduce both the personal and financial
costs to our families and our nation.   To realize this opportunity,
though, it is up to Congress and the NIH to ensure that these funds
get allocated to research focused on Parkinson's. Chairman Specter
and others in this body have worked hard to ensure that NIH has the
overall funding it needs to aggressively pursue research
opportunities like those relating to Parkinson's. I have received a
letter dated May 21, 1998 from NIH Director, Dr. Harold Varmus, which
includes a chart indicating that the NIH will spend over $106 million
on Parkinson's research in fiscal year 1999. I look forward to
working with my colleagues and the NIH to see that this funding goes
for research principally focused on the cause, pathogenesis, and/or
potential therapies or treatments for Parkinson's disease as mandated
by the Udall Act.

[continued on part 3]