First Seniority has sent a letter to its subscribers telling them about
the $200 per quarter "benefit". Many subscribers who did not use $71 per
quarter on prescription drugs were opting out of that part of the plan.
Effectively, the cap limits the insurance companies risk and offloads the
members using the higher amounts.
Also, the copay is $8 but not added into the $800 total or $200/quarter.
Members who had been opting out now get the "benefit". Of course, they
are the same ones who didn't use the "benefit".
Some communities offer a program which provides some prescription
benefits, but it is related to income. Spouses should make out individual
applications.
Sometimes, one spouse (usually wife) may be eligible while the other is
not.
Check with your Council on Aging.
Raphaela Rozanski