Choices

Life is full of choices.
At first someone makes the choices for us.
We accept these choices because we are too young
to know they need to be made, much less make them
ourselves.
Then we start making the choices with the assistance of others and
later, on our own.
There are times, however, when outside forces influence
our choices. PD has become a major player in the choices
I make. One choice I’ve made is to continue working for as long as
possible. One reason for this is the certainty that
if I stop working I’ll fade away to nothing. Another reason for this
choice is that I enjoy what I do. At first I thought it was just the
physical problems that would cause
changes in what I did and how I did them. However, the act of thinking
about something appears to be as bad or worse than doing it. Watching
the TV is not to bad, provided the
show is not to interesting. But concentrating on something like the
answer to a question, reading, even listing to a conversation increases
the time it takes for the meds to start working. This means if I want to
get to work on time in the morning, I have to give up something so the
meds well have me on when I get to work. When I get home the same thing
is true. Something has to go so I can get enough sleep to be functional
the next day. The thing that has been getting he short end of he stick
is the internet.
This bothers me more than you might think. I have a lot of friends on
the net. I’ve spent a lot of time building those friendships and I don’t
want to loose them. Also #parkinsons and the mail list have been
invaluable as a support group. In short, I may not be around as much as
I used to be and I’m having to shift my hours around. But I’m still
here. I’m just on at rather odd hours and for shorter periods.

Marvin Giles
(WerPuppy)