> "Stop CREATING ANGER"
>he says!  Does this mean if I am pushed off a tall building, and I am hurtling
>toward the concrete below, I should "stop creating FEAR?"
Ken,
if you were pushed off a building, would you be angry? fear would be there
in me if I were on a tall building.

most of us create anger in our self as the appropriate response to many
events. if i believe that a word label directed to me is invading my space -
derogatory, i am going to feel angry. the belief is basic. the response will
not be equivalent if the words come from a 3 year old as someone you
consider a peer. much more feelings complication may occur if a good friend
reprimands one.

much of our anger comes from what we believe and expect - and how we
interpret/assign the motivation of the action or message and the actor.

personal attack may be intended, but frequently is not. your sentence that
preceded what I quoted above would have offended david burns, but his habit
of paying attention to his cognitive thinking/perceiving and reacting after
evaluating might have resulted in a different response than you might
expect.

i consider his cognitive therapy workbook the best of all i have
encountered. i would bicker about his title - The Feeling Good Handbook - id
est, it should have been the feeling better handbook - in that it can help
those who feel good to feel better. helping self to feel better by not
continuing to have buttons that are hair-trigger easy to push is ne way to
not create anger in ones self. change to introspect and clarify one's
beliefs - un-distort them - is the best goal of therapy. use of his simple
method of using paper and writing about emotive events and the thoughts and
feelings at the time, then later with specfic removal of distortions and
fuzzy logic will clarify your beliefs. that removal of distortions from my
mental processes and habits has been beneficial to me. i am defending his
contributions. Janet P will maybe have done so before this gets sent.

tafn, ron
Ronald Vetter  1936, dz PD 1984, carbidopa/levodopa, Mirapex, selegiline
[log in to unmask]     Ridgecrest, California
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter