Sharon,

> While on the subject of vitamins, are there some that PWP's CAN and do take
> successfully?

Vitamin supplements should be individualized, just like medications,
because there are many contraindicating factors -- a family history of
hemorrhagic stroke, use of blood-thinning medications, etc. I usually do
recommend vitamin/mineral supplements to my clients, but not always. If
over age 50, it's recommended to use supplements that do not contain
iron unless anemic -- iron is an oxidant, and could potentially
contribute to cancer and heart disease.

It can be difficult for PWP to get enough calcium, as milk is one of the
best sources but milk's protein can block levodopa absorption. After age
50, the recommendation is 1200 mg calcium daily; so fortified foods or a
supplement may be needed. Vitamin D can also be difficult to get in the
diet unless fortified foods are used, although 5-10 minutes in sunshine
daily provide enough. By age 50, people are recommended to get 400 IUs
vitamin D, and by age 80, 600 IUs.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--