And I didn't pay attention and wrote:

> I am hoping that we will find the same language somewhere in the
> omnibus conference report whenever we can access the final version.

Sorry, I see that *was* the final version.

Linda asked

> Can these reports provide encouragement, guidance, pressure etc.
> on the NIH to implement the provisions of the Udall Act?

Good question for Mike Claeys.  I am hopeful, because PD is now as
much on the minds of members of Congress as other diseases thanks to
the Udall effort.  And even if the requirement to report to Congress
in 120 days on the NIH plan to implement the Udall act is gone, still
NIH is required to report to the House Appropriations Committee every
year in connection with their budget request for the next year,
citing accomplishments for the past year and justifying the budget
for next year.  The designation of the three PD Centers is sure to be
mentioned.

Linda noted that the reports mentioned PD in connection with other
Institutes besides NINDS.  Several others are involved - Aging,
Mental Health, the Genome Project, and Environmental Health, because
PD has all these aspects - a brain aging process gone haywire, often
resulting in dementia, with a combination of genetic and
environmental causes. PD research can be funded by grants from any of
these Institutes. These other Institutes conduct research at NIH labs
as well. I even recall seeing a research article on PD written by an
NIH scientist in the Eye Institute, where something in the brain
relevant to PD was discovered.

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 60/dx 1990