Ken,
 you wrote:
Ron, I did not mean to imply that D. Burns is totally wrong, I just don't
think anger is something we create.  I think it is something that happens in
response to a stimulus.
Actually if I were pushed off a tall building, the fear would occur before
the
anger, at least in my case.  [log in to unmask]

i will respond a little to this.
burns and all  of us know that no one is  "totally ???????(any word)".

 the founder of general  semantics - alfred korzybski - argued against the
foolishness of any "??? is ###" verbal construct. all words and non-verbal
symbols or signals are labels or pointers or maps referent to  something.
with something being very broad from physical pieces of the reality to
concepts, processes, and abstracts conceived by human minds only. (as far as
we know)

he oft wrote "the map is not the territory".   semantics is an attempt to
discover cognition processes. how we think and feel. being cognitive is not
equivalent for each of us.
"cogito, ergo sum" is the latin sentence "i am cogent, therefore i am" with
the next sentence of the philosopher being "dubito, ergo sum"    i doubt,
therefore i am.

knowing one's self involves introspection. burns does much with the verbal -
our thinking is all via words - symbols - of
classification/labels/generalizations concepts .. language is intrinsic in
thinking, knowing, feeling, abstracting, conceptualizing, learning ..

cognitive therapy is changing our cognition of our self. opening some of the
subconscious to cognition. the writing of our thoughts requires words.
the writing of words is random gibberish sometimes - sublime 'seeing' =
'understanding' sometimes

to describe an event , the emotions it provoked, the responses we made, the
emotions intensity, the sequence of events, the thoughts i had, the
observations i made then, the completing of the episode will take me on a
journey that is nearly always revelatory --- just doing this putting my
memories of the event the emotions, the automatic or considered responses i
made, the effects of these on me and the other(s) involved (if any) et c.
change me.

part two of the burns method is to re-visit each word of the page prepared
above to clarify the meaning and to remove any distortions or errors in the
thoughts

this brings refinement to my thoughts, my values, my beliefs
i change my mind
i change my mental process

sentence: i just don't think anger is something we create
reworked: i do not believe that anger is generated by self perception
again reworked: i have not understood the process of emotive causality to
logically have taken place in my consciousness prior to experiencing anger

these may have some different meanings for you than your sentence
i have tried to rephrase and to clarify primarily. there is also the step of
attempting to remove all distortions in what one has written.

the causality of my emotion of anger is at least partially my perception of
an event being hurt  or pain or loss
anger has shades of grey - levels of intensity
mild aggravation to livid rage
i am not responsible for an event, but i am responsible for my response to
an event
i have a variety of emotions triggerred by events
my emotional state when the event occurs affects my response
the environment i happen to be in affects my response
my belief about the event affect my response
my expectations affect how i respond
my understanding and cognitive skills and attentiveness to what is potential
affect my response
i choose to be in control of my response (some may have the opposite habit)
i am not always feeling calm, relaxed, and pleasant .. my temperament
determines my response to some extent.. i will say that i will not express
anger childishly or destructively via tantrum or throwing something or
breaking something
i believe teaching assertiveness is central to learning a proper response to
events that we perceive painful or detrimental or mean-spirited toward us
counter-agression is not appropriate in most instances.
i am often angry with myself in the occasions when my attempting has failed

seething rage is not common; nor is it response to an event; it is abnormal
psyche - madness.
i am angry about injustice, deception, lying, cheating, greed, insensitivity
of governing persons, but this anger is not often emotive in the sense of
felt strongly. it is my attitude about mean-spirited persons in powerful
position because of wealth or election or ruthlessness.

jesus responded without anger to most every event - as did mahatma gandhi.
jesus was a healer with extraordinary perception. his response to remain
non-violent included sweating blood apparently. he did run the thieves out
of the temple.  mostly, he was kind and gentle.
 i must decide whether to send this to all or just Ken.  perhaps some one
will benefit.
ron