Sharon,

> I've read
> that certain vitamins are not good with PD meds.  I tried Mother on a good
> multi-vit but took her off as her tremor did seem to worsen indicating the
> Carbodopa was being blocked.

Vitamin B6 can block levodopa absorption, although this is not
considered to be nearly the problem with carbidopa-levodopa that it was
with levodopa alone. Most agree that supplements of B6 up to 3 times the
RDA, or a total of 6 mg, will not block levodopa absorption when Sinemet
is used.

If a multivitamin appeared to block her Sinemet, it could be:
1) the multivitamin contained a large amount of B6, enough to overwhelm
the carbidopa
2) your mother is especially sensitive to B6

I would check the vitamin bottle for the amount of B6 contained. If
it's  more than 6 mg, the AMOUNT of B6 could be the problem. If it's 6
mg or less, sensitivity should be considered.

In any case your mother needs all B vitamins, and if you feel her diet
is inadequate, or she is losing weight, I recommend you ask her
physician for a referral to a registered dietitian, who can determine
adequacy and provide recommendations. S/he may suggest your mother take
her vitamin 30-60 minutes AFTER she takes Sinemet, so that the B6 will
have entered the bloodstream prior to the levodopa.

> Do you have specific recommendations for a
> multi-vit for PWP's?  Sharon  CG Mom  74/50/45

For those over age 50, I usually recommend Centrum Silver or One A Day
50-Plus or a similar generic, as they contain little or no iron. If it
appears necessary I may recommend a B complex as well, and I very often
recommend a calcium supplement.

My very best regards to you and your mother,
Kathrynne
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
"Nutrition you can live with!"