Hello all,

Greetings from Nova Scotia where, at last, we are enjoying Indian summer
(10th straight day of sun albeit quite cool).

On the question of drug cost coverage in Canada raised by Anne Rutherford.
While not an expert on this, the province of Nova Scotia does cover a wide
range of drugs, including the major Parkinson drugs, under its Pharmacare
program. This program, which has a minimum co-pay provision, is aimed at
seniors and individuals on social assistance. As well, although I don't have
any hard statistics, many people (judging by our Halifax-Dartmouth Chapter
members), have work-related drug plans which cover Parkinson meds.

But there is a real gap in Nova Scotia's health care coverage -- the cost of
drugs for people who have no separate work-related drug plan, are not on
social assistance and are under 65. There have been periodic efforts to push
the provincial government to add people facing 'catastrophic' drug costs to
Pharmacare program. The MS community recently has success in getting the
province to make an expensive new MS drug available to all patients. Just
like the Udall lobbying in the U.S. has had an impact, we have to constantly
be active and vocal in our own interests.

Best to everyone and TTFN

Peter

Peter Kidd
Learning Materials Consulting Services
62 Coronation Avenue, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3N 2M6 Canada
Tel/FAX: (902) 443-4262 Email: [log in to unmask]