"I'd like to commend Phil Tompkins and Linda
Herman for all their diligent work posting helpful
information regarding NIH funding, Parkinson's
funding and the fiscal 1999 Omnibus Budget bill.
I would also like to urge them and anyone with
questions about these topics to contact the
Parkinson's Action Network by phone at (800)
850-4726 or email at [log in to unmask]  We can
provide the raw data (language, numbers, etc.)
along with important context, interpretation and
perspective on the political impact of this
information.

Several questions have arisen in the online
discussion, and I would like to take a few minutes
to address them.

First off, it should be restated that the report
language the accompanied the House and Senate
Labor-HHS bills is included "by reference" in the
final Labor-HHS conference report which passed as
part of the omnibus budget package.  The paragraph
on Parkinson's included in the conference report
is IN ADDITION to the other report language, and
was proposed and adopted in order to STRENGTHEN
and CLARIFY the previously adopted report
language.

As we published at the time of its passage, the
report language accompanying the Senate Labor-HHS
Appropriations bill is the best report language
the Parkinson's community had received up until
that point.  Unfortunately, while the language is
lengthy, detailed and sounds good, it lacks the
clearly stated instructions we believe are
required to get NIH to comply.  Most notably is
the frequent use of the verb "encourages," which
is too ambiguous to compel the NIH to change their
current unsatisfactory Parkinson's funding
practices.  Simply put, stating "the Committee
encourages" the NIH to fund the Udall bill is not
enough to make them actually do it.

The conference report language strengthens the
other report language by stating that "Consistent
with the enactment of the (Udall) Act, NIH is
EXPECTED to utilize resources for research focused
on Parkinson's disease..."  When Congress says
"NIH is expected" to fund additional Parkinson's
research, it is much stronger than merely
encouraging that research be funded.

Furthermore, the additional language includes a
definition of what Congress understands
Parkinson's-focused research to be: "where the
principal focus of the research is the cause,
pathogenesis, and/or potential therapies or
treatment for Parkinson's disease."   This
language is specifically included to address the
documented NIH practice of including research
totally unrelated to Parkinson's as part of their
Parkinson's research portfolio.  This is also a
major step forward.

The first sentence of the conference report
language states: "The conference agreement
supports the fiscal year 1999 funding level
proposed in NIH budget documents for Parkinson's
disease."  This is a reference to NIH's published
amount of $106 million for Parkinson's research in
fiscal 1999.  This sentence is an attempt to "lock
in" that funding figure my having Congress
acknowledge and accept it.  The other sentences,
discussed above, then attempt to ensure that ALL
of that $106 million will be spent on
Parkinson's-focused research, as defined.

So does this mean $106 million will be spent on
Parkinson's-focused research in 1999?  Probably
not.  Despite this improved language, and our
successes in raising Congressional awareness of
Parkinson's, the NIH will likely continue is
practice of including lots of so-called "related"
research in its Parkinson's program.  It is our
responsibility to continue to monitor the
situation and continue to work with our supporters
in Congress to require NIH to fulfill both the
letter and the spirit of the Udall Act.

To help us reach that end, five Senators
participated in a colloquy - or a conversation
included in the Congressional record -
specifically detailing their concerns with NIH's
current funding practices and stating
Congressional intent to fully fund the Udall Act.
The Senators are: Thad Cochran (R-MS), Larry Craig
(R-ID), John McCain (R-AZ), Paul Wellstone (D-MN)
and Arlen Specter (R-PA).  I will have a separate
post with the text of the colloquy - which Phil
Tompkins already posted to the List - as well as
more information about it.  Suffice to say for now
that this is another important step for our
community.

Please refer any questions or comments to the
Parkinson's Action Network: (800) 850-4726.

Sincerely,

Michael Claeys
Community Outreach Coordinator"