hi bill

you wrote:
>Is rage a common symptom of PD?   If so, is the source
>psychological or physical?  Is the source frustration or
>from something in our physical brain?
>I believe frustration.

i believe that you are right
rage = anger = fear

>My episodes of rage began before my diagnosis and medication,
>so I do not suspect that it is drug-induced.   But it is not drug-relieved,
>either.

i wouldn't be surprised if you struggled with a lot of doubt and fear
prior to diagnosis simply because of worry
over your one health

i was terrified that i had something 'serious' like ms or a brain tumour
and simply avoided the issue by keeping my head in the sand
as long as i possibly could
which meant that i worried myself sick for three years

avoidance of fearful events/ideas might be a 'typical female approach'
while i would guess that a 'typical male approach' might be more pro-active
[or maybe not]

fear and frustration at not knowing would easily create anger and rage
fear and frustration at finally knowing and not wanting to accept it
would also create anger and rage

accepting it in your own heart and mind and soul
is one thing
but
laying it open to be examined and hopefully accepted
by your colleagues and / or your family and / or the general public
is a whole other thing
with a whole other multitude of layers of worry and fear baggage

>I believe that I control it well. But perhaps some of you can
>tell me if it gets worse with increasing PD symptoms.

maybe your 'control' is dependent on your hiding it?

it seems to me that if you haven't been able to
accept / acknowledge your diagnosis totally and publicly
then every progressive step / symptom will only act as a slap in the face
and increase the fear / anger / rage spiral

i feel lucky in that somehow
[i am not a saint]
i have been able to accept / acknowledge / own my situation as it is
without bitterness or anger or denial
[not now at any rate]
i have received it, taken it in, as something important
given to me to learn from
given to me specifically

getting angry about it
would seem as bizarre to me
as getting angry at the rain

>I have yet to have an outburst at work. But it's coming.
>Since they are not yet aware of my PD, eyebrows will be raised.

aha
you don't know for sure what their reaction will be
and anything un-known is cause for worry and fear and frustration

'your work is not your worth'
it took me a long hard time to learn that one

my job, my status, my title, my shareholdings, my influence
all mean nothing when it comes down to brass tacks

[you will never hear anyone say, as their dying words,
"gee, i wish i had spent more time at the office"
!!!]

acknowledging that is one hard thing
and looking at it as 'not a loss' is another hard thing
but coming out the other side
is wonderfully enlightening and freeing

>My breakthrough was in recognizing that my
>feelings of rage were usually from within myself,
>and not caused by my wife or colleagues.

aha
this is what i'm saying!
[me, and david burns, and scott peck, and daniel goleman....]

>My biggest problem now is determining whether my rage
>is justified.  Sometimes anger is justified.  And useful.

you are the only one who can do the digging to find out
but the digging in itself is painful
and can be frightening

all i can say is
that i have been through a lot of self inflicted 'digging'
and i know that it hurts like hell at the time

however
learning to feel despair
means
learning to feel joy

and that's almost all i feel now

>I would like to learn how others have dealt with this problem.
>You are great resource.  Better, in many ways, than the physicians.
>You've been there.

yep
we've been through the fire
are still going through the fire
only a co-fire-fighter can understand it fully

i have changed a great deal because of fighting this fire but
[once again mis-quoting t.s.eliot et al]
in my beginning is my end
in my end is my beginning

your cyber-sibling in fire-fighting

janet

ps
more to the point of your question
parkies tend to be 'more emotional' than non-parkies
and getting 'more emotional' can have profound effects on our meds
catch-22!

janet paterson - 51 now / 41 dx / 37 onset - almonte/ontario/canada
http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/