Since two other families and Brig and I were the awarded the Louis J. Fishman
Award, presented at the Pan Public Forum last year, I'll do the best I can to
answer your questions.  It is an award for excellence in advocacy , "For your
outstanding contribution to public advocacy on behalf of the Parkinson
community ".  It is named in honor of Ken Aikemen's uncle who, I believe
established the award.  It is an annual award to individuals who have given
themselves to advance the goals of the Parkinson's community.  The previous
winners were  Margaret Tuckman and BarbSchirloff in 1997 for all their
wonderful work in the community.  This year's winners were Jim and Ethel
Bence, and Kathy Hayes' mother and dad, all, because of our opening our lives
to make the Faces of Parkinson video, which we showed to members of congress
and to support groups all over the country.
I do not know who made the nominations, all I know is that we were all
surprised, when we were announced as winners.  I must also admit it was one of
the most emotionally draining experiences I've ever had, it took me one week
to just stop crying after all the feelings that were brought to the surface.
However, it was worth it, if it made members of congress understand what this
disease does to it's victims and families, Unfortunately, Kathy Hayes' mother
passed away last month, she gave her last breath for the community.
Gerry and Brig Haines